Thank you for a wonderful project. We all enjoyed working with you, and the final product is outstanding. I am still giving out copies to various associates, and the comments on the book are always excellent. Everyone remarks about how the writing, photos, and graphics are very professional. It is a classy product that reflects well on all of us and the company.
Gary Schroeder, Founder and President, Oakshire Mushroom Farm, Kennett Square, PA
Founded in 1985, Oakshire has grown from an upstart newcomer to an industry leader with a global reputation for innovation and quality. Under the DOLE® brand, Oakshire labels, and private labels for chains such as Costco, Oakshire is the exclusive supplier to more than 3,000 US supermarkets and hundreds of food service outlets.
In 64 colorful pages, Oakshire: The History of an Innovative Mushroom Company chronicles the company’s rise. Founder Gary Schroeder built Oakshire on a solid scientific foundation and a contrarian belief that specialty mushrooms would be the way of the future. Highlights include:
- Gorgeous behind-the-scenes images by documentary photographer Sarah Anne Wharton
- A look at how the founder’s early life and education influenced his business decisions
- The compelling story of how Oakshire navigated periods of challenge and industry upheaval
- A history-within-a-history of the Golden Oak Spawn division, which produces more than 30 percent of all fresh shiitake mushrooms in the US
- A focus on Oakshire’s family-friendly culture of productivity and loyalty
Our research included 20 hours of oral history interviews, facility and farm tours, and of course a visit to Kennett Square’s famous annual Mushroom Festival, of which Oakshire is a Diamond Sponsor.
Interviewers and Authors: Marian Calabro and Bernie Libster
Book Designer: Christine Reynolds
Photographer: Sarah Anne Wharton
Hermes Award Winner:
CorporateHistory.net’s Oakshire: The History of an Innovative Mushroom Company earned a Hermes Platinum Award, the highest honor in this international competition sponsored by the Association of Marketing and Communications Professionals. We’re proud to be the only corporate history book publisher to have won this prestigious award in 2016.